Friday, November 16, 2012

Skyla

So last night was the Big Sisters Big Brothers Big Night Out event, and being apart of the program for 8 years with the most amazing little sister I could ever have been matched with, I was one of the proudest people there. Proud because when Skyla found out we were going she asked if she could say a few words about our experience with BBBS. I was surprised and excited! The 9 year old girl (now 16) I met when first matched would hardly say more than 2 words in a conversation. Now, I can hardly get her to stop talking. She amazes me everyday with what a wonderful young lady she is becoming; honest, caring, open, thoughtful, smart and determined. I am honored to have her in my life and to have played a part in hers. I have always known that she cares and that we are best friends because of the connection we have, but last night I got to hear her put into words her thoughts and feelings of our match and relationship. I was blown away! Her hopes were to make me cry, but I was so happy and proud of her that no tears could come. Well, not until I sat down and read her speech alone anyway. I asked her if I could share her speech as I hope it will be a testimony to how much we as mentors/adults can influence young kids lives by just being a friend and how ultimately we get just as much of a reward out of it as they do. Below is her speech and I will forever be grateful to Skyla for making me a better person, friend, listener, and big sister. Love you kiddo!

" Sometimes in life you find a special friend, someone who changes your life just by being part of it. Someone who makes you laugh until you can't stop; someone who makes you believe that there really is good in the world. Someone who convinces you that there really is an un-locked door just waiting for you to open it. 8 years ago I met this someone special through Big Brothers Big Sisters, her name is Melissa. And since then we've become extreamly close! Over the years we've done many activities such as: going to the movies, road trips to Grand Manan, shopping, singing at the top of our lungs in the car, and so much more. She is someone I can be my complete self around. I can always go to her about anything, even though she might not agree, she will support my decisions. I wrote this mini speech so I could make her cry! But also because I wanted her to know how much I care. Thanks to everyone who made this whole experience possible and thank you Melissa for always being there for me!"



1 comment:

  1. Melissa...you and Skyla are such an inspiration, making a connection with each other, with someone who you know will always be there. That's what mentoring is all about! Skyla did a fantastic job last night and you can tell how proud you are of her. We are so happy to have been a part of your friendship.
    Laurie, Big Brothers Big Sisters

    ReplyDelete